[syslinux] timestamp in COM32 module

Tomas Karasek tom.to.the.k at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 03:08:30 PDT 2010

  Hello,
I am writing a simple module for measuring boot time. I would like to
get a timestamp when syslinux is run and then pass it as kernel
parameter and work with the timestamp later..

It seems that POXIS time.h functions are not implemented yet(?) in
COMBOOT. There is times() from times.c but I do not understand what is
it exactly returning. it doesn't seems like what POSIX time() returns.

Also, I was reading this

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Benchmarking-boot-latency-on-x86/

and it sounds good, but I would be really better off with seconds since
beginning of epoch, plus I am not sure how the TSC count behaves on
multicore.

- Is there some other way to get (some kind of) timestamp in COM32
environment besides RDTSC and times.c?

- Is there a way how to get a timestamp relative to times() when Linux
is runnig? I.e. build a static binary that will get times() and run it
from init?

Best Regards,
Tomas Karasek