[syslinux] Syslinux 3.70pre9 - sanboot.c32 says: gPXE API not

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 06:08:07 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 14:38, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 09:54, tiger <tzz at tom.com> wrote:
>> is there anyone who know the problem?
>>
>> I have a working PXE environment that chainloads gPXE and loads pxelinux.0
>> afterwards. As I'm also interested in doing san boot (in my case aoe) I
>> tried loading the new gpxelinux.0 file instead of my gPXE --> pxelinux.0
>> setup (works) and booting from my aoe target by adding this to the default
>> config file:
>>
>> LABEL  doaoe
>>    MENU LABEL Continue AoE
>>    kernel sanboot.c32
>>    append aoe:e0.0
>>
>> The result is that sanboot.c32 is complaining that the gPXE API is not
>> detected. Please note that I can boot my machine from the aoe target using
>> the gPXE command-line
>>
>> I have also tried adding the keeppxe keyword at the end of the append line
>> but this has the same result.
>
> Subject: Syslinux 3.70pre9 - sanboot.c32 says: gPXE API not
>
> First off, 3.70 was officially release 2008-07-01, over two years ago.
>  Second, you mention a pre-release, released 2008-04-10.  I believe
> pre-releases are intended solely for testing prior to a stable
> release.
>
> The first suggestion is to try Syslinux 4.02.  The official archive
> should contain all of the files you'll need, already compiled, to test
> this issue (gpxe/gpxelinux.0 core/pxelinux.0 and
> com32/modules/sanboot.c32).

I just tried using gpxelinux.0 and sanboot.c32 from 3.70-pre9 and
3.70.  Tiger, I can confirm that 3.70-pre9 didn't want to work but
3.70 did want to try with that exact command line.  I didn't have an
aoe target available but 3.70 passed the gPXE API check properly.

If you upgrade to Syslinux 4.02, please be aware of the standard
caveat: Always use modules that are from the same version of the core
(ie, if you have memdisk or any other modules, upgrade them too,
especially COM32 modules as the COM32 format was changed immensely for
4.00).  Also, it is recommended to try to stick with the official
binaries when possible
(http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Official_Binaries).

--
-Gene