[syslinux] binaries in syslinux-4.02.tar.bz2

Alex Zeffertt alex.zeffertt at eu.citrix.com
Fri Sep 24 04:11:36 PDT 2010

In doc/distrib.txt H. Peter Anvin wrote:

 > For creators of Linux distributions:
 >
 > Syslinux is a notoriously hard program to debug, since it runs outside
 > of any operating system, and has a tendency to expose BIOS and
 > hardware bugs on various systems.  Therefore, I would appreciate if
 > you would resist the temptation of recompiling the Syslinux bootloader
 > itself (ldlinux.asm) if at all possible.  If you do that, I will have
 > to refer any bug reports I receive back to the respective distributor.

Rather than recommending to packagers not to rebuild the binaries, shouldn't we
work out the cause of their problems when they do?  For example there may be a
binary in the tarball which does not have precursors.  (That is one explanation
of the error message I saw that I can't find in the source code.)

We need to avoid getting into the situation in which only one machine is capable
of rebuilding the package.

The environment in which I built the binaries that didn't generate a prompt was
a fresh CentOS 5.5 i386 chroot with nasm-2.09.01-1.  Is it possible to describe
in a similar manner the environment in which the working binaries in the tarball
were built?

Regards,

Alex