[syslinux] Felicitation + Informations required

MONDON Daniel Daniel.MONDON at lpgtechnologies.com
Tue Sep 28 00:17:04 PDT 2010

De : syslinux-bounces at zytor.com [mailto:syslinux-bounces at zytor.com] De la part de Gene Cumm
Envoyé : lundi 27 septembre 2010 22:29
À : For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
Objet : Re: [syslinux] Felicitation + Informations required

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:46, MONDON Daniel
<Daniel.MONDON at lpgtechnologies.com> wrote:
> Hi every body!
>
> I'am a new member.
>
> First off all, I want to congratulate every people who have work on the
> syslinux project, beginning by the first Hans Peter Anvin! :)
>

> I'm working with linux for 2 years and with isolinux since june 2010.
>
> The project is to do computers witch have the same boot every time, even
> if the power off is made ... unexpectedly.
> This is why the solution is Linux live cd ... with, of course, isolinux
> :)

I'd assume that PXE boot must be out for some reason.  Lack of
availability, no PXE environment, networking issues at power on, etc.
I know I've noticed PXE is normally faster than CD and is sometimes
faster than USB flash drive (depending on different variables) and if
configured right (with the right amount of RAM), everything can be
loaded from the bootloader.

I mean that power off is used instead of switching off the machine correctly :)

> I'm working on the Linux 'customisation' in order to have the more light
> OS as possible.
>
> But ... yes, there is but...
>
> I have to remove every displayed message on the screen.

Is your POST (Power On Self Test; BIOS initialization) quiet or do you
still see something like a splash screen or other output before the
boot loader?
Yes : a specific bios splash screen
> I use actually the 3.63 Version.

Thanks for noting the version.  Current is 4.02.  There are a huge
number of improvements and bug fixes.
I know. And i will use it.
Almost because I have to modify it? and having the same version as ... you.

> The kernel loading '...' are removed.
> Not the Syslinux message.
>
> I've found then in the isolinux.asm file : syslinux_banner!
>
> Is there any option in new isolinux version command line to remove this
> printing?
> If not, I have to generate isolinux with my modification needed.

The banner is displayed before the config file is read.  At this time,
it requires an unsupported patch and recompile.
There are other ways to make it seem to the user like it prints no
message by writing over the screen.
If I do not have to make a special version, I will do that!
Printing the same png as bios splash screen.
Is there any documentation - example for that ?
> I think I'm not the only one who wants to do that, or perhaps have not
> choice syslinux because of messages printed.

This has been mentioned numerous times on the list.
I am new on the list.
When I have a little time, I will look at the history.
> Thanks a million!
>
> Cdlt,
> Daniel
> ------
>
> PS: if i am not in the good place with may question, please tell me, and
> / or where i can found response.
> :)

You're in the right place.
Unsubscribe or set options at: