[syslinux] stdin is not a PNM file at/usr/bin/ppmtolss16line 214

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Thu Sep 30 03:20:29 PDT 2010

"MONDON Daniel" <Daniel.MONDON at lpgtechnologies.com> writes:

> wferi writes:
>
>> Please read the documentation at
>> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#DISPLAY_filename
>> Basically, you have to create a separate file, which contains
>>
>> <CAN>my_picture.lss16<newline>
>>
>> where the single character <CAN> = <Ctrl-X> = ASCII 24
>> and <newline> = ASCII 10 as usual, and give the name of this file to
>> the DISPLAY command.
>
> Now, after the syslinux first line printed, I've got my file name
> printed, but not the image.
>
> I've tried every combination, with or without <> ... and only my text
> line is printed :(

<CAN> is a single character, as I wrote above.  For example, put into
your syslinux.cfg the line

DISPLAY splash

then the file named 'splash' could contain this (in octal dump):

$ od -c splash
0000000 030   s   y   s   .   l   i   n   u   x   .   r   u   l   e   z
0000020   .   l   s   s   1   6  \n
0000027

Here 030 octal = 24 decimal is <CAN> and \n is <newline>, which is 10
decimal.  The other characters stand for themselves.

And of course you've got to have sys.linux.rulez.lss16 available as
well.

> Have I to switch in graphical mode in syslinux.cfg file ?

No, DISPLAY does it if it finds the command (that is, <CAN>) to display
graphics.
Feri.