[syslinux] OT:Question on gen-id.sh $id

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Apr 2 02:11:08 PDT 2011

Somewhat off-topic.
I've noticed for some time, when one recompiles the syslinux, that
it uses an id that is created by the gen-id.sh script that seems to
be a hex string by making the id variable equal to the $tim
variable.

I had modified the script to append the the prexx of the directory
to the $tim variable.  Tested it with the pre15 and pre17 that came
out today. The first one would pull out the pre after the -, but the
second one which also works would also handle if the directory
was without a pre, but does assume that format is constant?

This way the hdt reports the $tim with the pre version, rather than
the random $tim variable.

The original line is id="$tim"

if test -z "$id"; then
  id="$tim-`echo ${PWD} | rev | cut -f2 -d/ | rev | cut -f3 -d-`"
  id="$tim-`echo ${PWD} | rev | cut -f2 -d/ | rev | cut -b15-19`"
fi
echo "$id"

Perhaps some other method would be better, but this is additional
info.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        10512813.624229   |   EINSTEIN     5650097.270851
ROSETTA      2972600.997745   |   ABC          5123465.984288