[syslinux] proper keymap format ?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Apr 3 02:36:00 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Gene Cumm wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 22:46, Jim Cromie <jim.cromie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just tried kbdmap.c32, got a format error
>>
>> Keyboard map file format error
>> boot:
>>
>> the file I attempted to use was from sudo dumpkeys > keymap,
>> and copied into /var/lib/tftpboot
>>
>> I'll happily add whatever knowledge I get to the wiki-page for kbdmap
>>

>> FWIW, I tried this cuz my cursor keys were not working with menu.c32,
>> so any hints to solve this problem would be great
>>
>> this is with 4.04-pre17
>
> Did you read doc/syslinux.txt under KBDMAP?
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#KBDMAP_keymap in the
> wiki.

I would like to reiterate my wish that syslinux ships with a known set of
keyboard mappings for people to include in their project.

     http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/files/2008-September/010708.html

The reason for this is that for some keyboard layouts important characters
are mapped behind AltGr which cannot be produced by the current
implementation and therefore have to be mapped differently.

Providing a set of good keyboard mappings (as shipped by systemrescuecd)
together with some customized mappings for those problematic keyboard
layouts. Only if we provide them somewhere, people can contribute
improvements instead of rolling their own and other projects benefit from
this too.

Since these files are 256 bytes each, adding them to the syslinux
release shouldn't be problematic. Can we consider this ?