[syslinux] proper keymap format ?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Apr 3 15:31:22 PDT 2011

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> On 04/03/2011 02:36 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>> I would like to reiterate my wish that syslinux ships with a known set
>> of keyboard mappings for people to include in their project.
>>
>>     http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/files/2008-September/010708.html
>>
>> The reason for this is that for some keyboard layouts important
>> characters are mapped behind AltGr which cannot be produced by the
>> current implementation and therefore have to be mapped differently.
>>
>> Providing a set of good keyboard mappings (as shipped by systemrescuecd)
>> together with some customized mappings for those problematic keyboard
>> layouts. Only if we provide them somewhere, people can contribute
>> improvements instead of rolling their own and other projects benefit
>> from this too.
>>
>> Since these files are 256 bytes each, adding them to the syslinux
>> release shouldn't be problematic. Can we consider this ?
>
> I don't want to ship this kind of precompiled stuff only with Syslinux
> without the source material.  I am willing to consider shipping it all
> -- including the base material -- with Syslinux, but only if someone who
> is not me signs up to maintain it.

For the Belgian keymap file, there is no source. I created that file
completely from scratch in bvi. Any other keyboard layout making use of
AltGr for important characters will have to be remapped as well (as
practical as possible).

I don't think these maps can be copyrighted, or be seen as derivatives
simply because there's (often) only one possible way to write them for
each keyboard layout.