[syslinux] Isolinux 4.02

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Apr 14 10:09:11 PDT 2011

On 04/14/2011 07:15 AM, Collins, Cris L. wrote:
> I am running isolinux 4.02 and ramdisk_size does not seem to have an effect on the ramdisk size. No matter what I set it to in the isolinux.cfg file it seems the limit is 32768.   I get the error:
> ram0: rw=0, want=360456, limit=32768
> EXT2-fs error (device ram0):
>
> My isolinux.cfg file:
> LABEL EB
> KERNEL vmlinuxE
> APPEND initrd=bos.img root=/dev/ram0 rw ramdisk_size=545000
>

> I am running the 2.6.38.2 kernel. In the ramdisk document it says ramdisk_size is still the parameter. The kernel is configured for 245 16Mb ramdisks, so I do not think it is a kernel issue. Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide.

This is a Linux kernel question rather than a Syslinux question, but the
short answer is that filesystem-image ramdisks are pretty obsolete and
probably doesn't get much testing.  It sounds like you have tripped on a
bug.

I would recommend converting to an initramfs use, which also means you
don't have to worry about slack space issues.