[syslinux] Opinion wanted: metadata in HTTP requests (updated)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Apr 26 09:44:07 PDT 2011

On 04/26/2011 06:57 AM, John Rouillard wrote:

> Is there a difference in the amount of data that can be sent via these
> mechanisms? Using POST is the usual workaround when the get string is
> too large and code "414 Request-URI Too Long" is returned.

Yes, but if we have to go to POST we really have lost.

> From rfc 2109 the browser should support:
>
>   * at least 300 cookies
>
>   * at least 4096 bytes per cookie (as measured by the size of the
>     characters that comprise the cookie non-terminal in the syntax
>     description of the Set-Cookie header)
>
>   * at least 20 cookies per unique host or domain name
>
> so the server should be able to handle at least that.
>
> So I think the cookie mechanism may be a better choice depending on
> how much data you expect to send.

The only limit there which we are even remotely in the vicinity of is
the 20-cookie per "unique host or domain name" -- a.k.a. server.  The
current setup allows up to 32, but it's still the same category.

The problem is that this data gets sent for each and every request,
which means that it may take multiple packets to even get the connection
going... every time.