[syslinux] [hdt] New release 0.5.0-beta5 (last call before release)

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 09:13:55 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 14:48, Erwan Velu <erwanaliasr1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest the following : using some "%" symbols to define items.
>
> We could have the following list :
>
> %m = mac-address
> %p =  product name from the dmi
> %v = vendor name from the dmi
>
> and so on.
>
> The current scheme would be represented by
> dump_filename="%m+%v+%p"
>
> Would it be an acceptable option for you ?
> Does anyone on the list see some more items to add ?

I'd consider adding serial number (however there are multiple serial
number fields and some vendors don't fill them all.  I've seen
system-serial-number return "Not Specified" and then have the serial
number in chassis-serial-number.  There's also
baseboard-serial-number.

Although I don't personally use it, I'd also consider adding the asset
tag.  I think some vendors allow a system admin to put an
organization-specific number into this field.  I see
baseboard-asset-tag and chassis-asset-tag.

--
-Gene