[syslinux] Distilling down a small set of useful system data

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Apr 27 15:00:20 PDT 2011

On 04/27/2011 02:48 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 02:41 PM, Erwan Velu wrote:
>> If we speak about conditional booting, cpu is a very common requested
>> feature. Ifcpu.c32 exists wheres a conditional ifdmi.c32 doesn't.
>
> Yes, that's true, but ifcpu64 was not sufficient.  Sending *ALL* the
> data that ifcpu hinges in an unsolicited reply is a *lot*.
>
> Therein lies the dilemma...

I do note that DMI-based configuration file selection *has* been a very
commonly requested feature; not so much for conditional boot but for
conditional menus.

There might be a difference there, I don't really know.  I do recognize
this as a shortcoming, I just don't have a good answer at this point.
Ideas would be appreciated...