[syslinux] memdisk - grub2

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Wed Aug 10 15:36:59 PDT 2011

I've been trying to use memdisk with grub2 to boot some iso images -( I've done this without any
problem with pxe )

There is a memdisk.mod in /boot/grub/ and I've seen some material talking about this, but no example
of a menu.

After trying countless permutations - Right now I have :

menuentry "Memtest-Plus 4.2" {
         echo `hello`
         insmod lvm
         insmod part_msdos
         insmod jfs
         insmod memdisk iso
         set root='(ssd-testing)'
         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set f9ae292b-b6a9-4f70-af7c-31987e766d37
#        echo    'Loading memtest-Plus'
        linux16  memdisk
        initrd16 memtest-plus/memtest86+-4.20.iso
#        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk...'
}

I've done a lot of google searches and even downloaded the source trying to get a glimmer of the
syntax - so far with out joy...

I've verified the set root and lvm part is right with normal boot setups..

I tried putting a copy of memdisk in /boot/

If anyone has a 40_custom file that boots iso using in memdisk.mod - please post it. Everything I
find is for grub1..

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Beware of 'do-good-ers': the greatest evil is always done in the name of 'doing good'. Kps