[syslinux] NTFS File Sectors

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Sun Aug 14 19:41:18 PDT 2011

On 8/13/2011 06:16, Miller, Shao wrote:
> The following comment in win/syslinux.c seems fairly innocent:
>
> /* Map the file (is there a better way to do this?) */
>
> So I’ve got an 'ntfssect' git repository going:
>
> http://git.zytor.com/?p=users/sha0/ntfssect.git;a=summary
>
> Hopefully Paulo can plug its functions into his NTFS working
> repository. It appears that we’ll have to take one path (in the
> Windows installer) for FAT and one path for NTFS, unfortunately.
>
> A sample binary can be found in the 'win32' branch, which dumps
> cluster and sector info for files on an NTFS filesystem.
>
> If you’d rather this repository were some place else, hpa, please let
> me know. I figured it’s directly relevant to Syslinux NTFS support. ☺
>
> Enjoy.

Ok, I've removed the repository given above because I've incoporated the
code into a copy of pcacjr's NTFS branch of Syslinux:

http://git.zytor.com/?p=users/sha0/syslinux.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ntfsinstaller

Under 'win32/' and 'win64/' there are 'ntfstest/' subdirectories with
'Makefile's.  Those 'Makefile's will not be called by the main 'make'
process, but are there for anyone wishing to build the 'ntfstest.exe'
and 'ntfstest64.exe' tools, which exercise the recently committed code.

I've also added to 'win/syslinux.c' (the Windows installer) to check if
we are installing to an NTFS volume.  If we are, we do not use the
'libfat*' functions, but use the 'NtfsSect*' functions, which constitute
the bulk of the commit.

This branch is subject to change, at this time. :)

- Shao Miller