[syslinux] efilinux release 0.8

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Wed Aug 17 03:31:47 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-12 at 22:32 +0530, KESHAV P.R. wrote:

> No change. I actually upgraded gnu-efi first and then recompiled
> efilinux-git (upto 	"bzimage: Fix EFI to e820 memory type mapping"
> commit). Still the system hangs with
>
> x86_64 UEFI Shell (Beta)
>
>  > efilinux -l
>  > (comes back to shell aka does nothing)

Could you try running efilinux -m and see what you get? Though I suspect
that again, you'll be returned to the shell. Better yet, could you send
me the output of the "memmap" utility that comes with the shell and also
the output of "ver"?

I would guess the firwmare loader doesn't like the efilinux image and
it's not jumping to its entry point correctly. Can you successfully run
any of the sample applications from gnu-efi? Does grub2-efi run from
this shell?

> x86_64 UEFI Shell (Old)
>
>  > fs0:
>  > cd efi\efilinux
>  > efilinux -l
> efilinux loader 0.8
> (system hang)

Urgh, you're best bet at this point might be trying to find out which
function call hangs the system, e.g. by instrumenting efilinux with
"return EFI_SUCCESS;" and moving it forward in the execution path until
your machine hangs.

> Just FYI the build script I use for gnu-efi and efilinux-git are
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gnu-efi/PKGBUILD and
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/efilinux-git/PKGBUILD respectively.
> They are simply bash scripts so are easy to understand. Compilation
> was done in Archlinux x86_64 Linux 3.0 kernel with gcc-multilib 4.6.1

Wow, that was fast work, thanks for integrating efilinux :-)

> Also Fedora's gnu-efi package seems to use lots of patches (
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=gnu-efi.git;a=tree ) . Can
> somebody ensure the patches are included upstream so that other
> distros also benefit? Thanks in advance

Yes, these patches have already been sent to upstream gnu-efi.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center