[syslinux] Live linux booting

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Wed Aug 17 09:32:47 PDT 2011

I have a need to have a live Linux (Debian or sysrescued ) to boot off a hard-drive so that the
hard-drive ends up umounted after boot. (for running partimage ).

I've gone down the memdisk iso route and read about the issues there - I've seen a way to do this by
mounting over nfs (messy) - but I want to do this without the network.

I'm thinking that there should be a way to loop mount the needed files on a ram-disk.

I've Googled this a lot - I'm finding pole talking about how their setup fails to work, but no
working solutions.  Can someome point me in the right direction?

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Even if you are on the right track,
you'll get run over if you just sit there
  - Will Rogers