[syslinux] Live linux booting

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Aug 18 23:58:15 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:51:28PM -0400, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 12:32, Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com> wrote:
> > I have a need to have a live Linux (Debian or sysrescued ) to boot off a
> > hard-drive so that the hard-drive ends up umounted after boot. (for running
> > partimage ).
> >
> > I've gone down the memdisk iso route and read about the issues there - I've
> > seen a way to do this by mounting over nfs (messy) - but I want to do this
> > without the network.
> >
> > I'm thinking that there should be a way to loop mount the needed files on a
> > ram-disk.
> >
> > I've Googled this a lot - I'm finding pole talking about how their setup
> > fails to work, but no working solutions.  Can someome point me in the right
> > direction?
>
> I like using initrd-based distros like TinyCore Linux and RIPLinuX for
> rescue purposes.

That reminds me of http://grml.org/

Text from the main page of that site:

  Grml is a bootable live system (Live-CD) based on Debian. Grml
  includes a collection of GNU/Linux software especially for system
  administrators and users of texttools. Grml provides automatic hardware
  detection. You can use Grml (for example) as a rescue system, for
  analyzing systems/networks or as a working environment. It is not
  necessary to install anything to a harddisk; you don't even need a
  harddisk to run it. Due to on-the-fly decompression Grml includes
  about 2.1 GB of software and documentation on the CD.

I think it fits the needs of the original poster.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.