[syslinux] Live linux booting

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Aug 19 14:42:04 PDT 2011

On 19 Aug 2011 at 12:13, Karl Schmidt wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:13:11 -0500
From:           	Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com>
To:             	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Live linux booting
Send reply to:  	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>
	<mailto:syslinux-
request at zytor.com?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:syslinux-
request at zytor.com?subject=subscribe>

> I put up a page to document my research here -
>
> http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Live_Linux_systems
>
> If anything appears wrong - please point it out or edit it correct..

In regards to g4l, for which I've been then maintainer since about
2005.

Based on: It uses kernels from Kernel.org with busybox and
utilites and libraries from Fedora (14 at this time).

Ram Resident: After boot from the CD using syslinux it is
completely ram resident and doesn't need the cd. The kernel and
ramdisk can also be loaded via grub or grub4dos into ram also.
With grub4dos, it can also load in ram from an ntfs partition.

Clone whole disk: G4L can make images of both disks and
partitions using dd. It includes ntfsclone and fsarciver (0.6 and
0.7beta) that can backup partitions file data.

jfs lvm support: G4L does bit level images so can be used to back
up partitions regardless of underlying system. It also can backup
the lvm partitions separately, but the lvm setup would have to be
created. I generally just backup the partition that contains the lvm
partitions. Don't know about jfs being able to mount?

memdisk iso boot: Have not tired it? The kernel file and
ramdisk.lzma file can be added to syslinux, grub, and grub4dos,
whereas the iso image has a number of kernels to hopefully have
one that supports various hardware.

featues: Uses dd with compression for a number of options, but
included testdisk, ntfsclone, fsarchiver, older partimage, text only.

> Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl at xtronics.com
> Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
> 3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
> Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434
>
> Food comes first, then morals.
> Bertold Brecht

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11155194.679335   |   EINSTEIN     6384020.819851
ROSETTA      3489084.384677   |   ABC          7584121.784533