[syslinux] Live linux booting

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Aug 21 01:45:03 PDT 2011

On 20 Aug 2011 at 12:57, sandin wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:57:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	sandin <deiloohay at yahoo.com>
To:             	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Live linux booting

> The kernel and initrd boot over PXE with no issues.  The init scripts
> look for the ~300MB .dat file.  Perhaps there is a parameter that we
> can use to direct the search toward to the TFTP server?
> Alternatively, we could look at "remastering" the distro just to put
> the .dat file right into the initrd or expand its contents into it and
> repack.
>
> Acronis boots by PXE, and this has been very convenient...
>
> [snip]

Note: I've had a few users that I know of setup g4l with PXE, and
I've done a test of it on one system by just copying the cd
contents to the tftpboot directory, and copying the syslinux.cfg file
to default for the same configuration that the cd provides, but
haven't had enough experiense to know if the setup is the same
with other distros. Could probable just take any of the kernels and
ramdisk.lzma file and set that up to have a smaller foot print.

> My main effort was to find something that would pxe boot - or run completely out of RAM. (I'm actually booting  off a SSD drive for speed, but want to be able to unplug the boot drive for access to the SATA ports. )
> [/snip]

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11155194.679335   |   EINSTEIN     6384020.819851
ROSETTA      3489084.384677   |   ABC          7599626.159383