[syslinux] gpxelinux.0 and slow HTTP performance on VMware ESX

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:55:56 PST 2011

On Dec 1, 2011 2:59 PM, "lstraath" <lstraath at lynxsoft.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found this message in your online mail archive, i have found the same
problem and did some research in the past on this. Maybe you would be
interested to know it is a problem on any virtualisation product not just
ESX. Second it is a problem in gPXE that you embedded in gPXElinux. The
problem was build in gPXE after version 0.97 so any gPXElinux build a newer
version has this problem. I have tested a lot of hardware also and noticed
it 1 or 2 times on a specific nic also however i did forget which machine
had the same problem as the virtual machines.

Could you specify some of your environment?  What version of gpxelinux.0?
Where did it come from?  Is it the official binaries?  What VMware
products?  vmnic?  VMHW version?  Guest OS hint?  Do your httpd, tfpf and
client sit on the same subnet?  Considered a packet capture on the same
port group (requires Promiscuous access on the port group) and the httpd
system?

Could you perhaps try gpxelinux.0 from the Syslinux-4.04 binary/source
archive from kernel.org (or your favorite mirror)?

PXELINUX-4.10 will be HTTP download capable.  I have tested this and worked
with others to resolve the issues so in the next prerelease it should work
on VMware platforms.

--
-Gene