[syslinux] Where do we collect issues/ideas/improvements

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Dec 9 05:42:08 PST 2011

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011, Jernej Simončič wrote:

> On Monday, December 5, 2011, 10:53:17, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> Sadly we had just gotten a Bugzilla instance ready to start put in
>> production when the, ahem, security event happened.  On the other hand,
>> I have heard good things about Trac, and it looks like it might be
>> possible to import from Mediawiki, which is of course still down, sadly
>> enough.
>
> I've seen Mantis used on several sites as well.

I've moved all my projects to Github and I like the color-coding and
tagging of issues, which makes it very easy to structure the feedback any
way you prefer, and keep separate discussions alive regarding an issue.
And that's very important if you want outside contributors to help fix
those (maybe even years after they have been identified):

     https://github.com/dagwieers/asciidoc-odf/issues

However some people dislike Github just because it's not backed by free
software principles. For me pragmatism rules: no maintenance, Github
websites are backed by Git too, unfortunately the issue-tracker and Wiki
are using in-house backends.

The services plugins are open to be adapted, and we modified the email and
irc services and those changes were accepted, so from that respect they've
been very open to improvements.

One disappointing fact is that the AsciiDoc integration as lightweight
markup language is not as good as we would like. The default is a modified
markdown language.

Alternatives are Gitorious and Bitbucket, but Github wins in ease-of-use
and functionality.

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

Kind regards,