[syslinux] Boot WDS (win 2008r2) from pxelinux

Lezgin Bakircioglu lerra82 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 09:36:00 PST 2011

Hi everybody,

I'm facing a issue with the pxelinux when trying to Boot WDS and
I run PXELINUX version 4.03 2010-10-22 and trying to chain (pxechain.com is
from the same syslinux package as pxelinux) the WDS (that is a windows 2008
R2).

$WINDOWS-2K8-R2-IP$ = The IP address to the WDS server and this is the
config in the pxelinux.cfg/default
$LINUX-PXE-SERVER$ = The server that serves the tftp, dhcpd, http and the
binarys for pxelinux and ipxe (version 1.0.1).

LABEL wds
  COMBOOT pxechain.com
  APPEND $WINDOWS-2K8-R2-IP$::\Boot\x86\wdsnbp.com

Relevant DHCPD config:
option space ipxe;
option ipxe-encap-opts code 175 = encapsulate ipxe;
option ipxe.priority code 1 = signed integer 8;
option ipxe.keep-san code 8 = unsigned integer 8;
option ipxe.no-pxedhcp code 176 = unsigned integer 8;
option ipxe.bus-id code 177 = string;
option ipxe.bios-drive code 189 = unsigned integer 8;
option ipxe.username code 190 = string;
option ipxe.password code 191 = string;
option ipxe.reverse-username code 192 = string;
option ipxe.reverse-password code 193 = string;
option ipxe.version code 235 = string;
option iscsi-initiator-iqn code 203 = string;

class "pxeclients" {
        match if substring(option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) =
"PXEClient";
                next-server $LINUX-PXE-SERVER$;
                filename "ipxe.pxe";
       if ((exists user-class) and (option user-class = "iPXE")) {
                filename "https://
$LINUX-PXE-SERVER$/boot/pxe/pxelinux.ipxe";
       } else {
                filename "ipxe.pxe";
       }
}

The content of pxelinux.ipxe:
#!ipxe
echo Performing DHCP on first network interface
dhcp net0
set 209:string pxelinux.cfg/default
set 210:string https://$LINUX-PXE-SERVER$/boot/pxe/
chain https://$LINUX-PXE-SERVER$/boot/pxe/pxelinux.0

Now, When I type in WDS (the label to boot the wds) when the client have
pxebooted it successfully downloads the wdsnbp.com from
the $WINDOWS-2K8-R2-IP$ and tries to boot on it but it hangs as its trying
to continue the process by connecting to $LINUX-PXE-SERVER$

This is the output I get on the client:
"
TFTP boot: $WINDOWS-2K8-R2-IP$ \Boot\x64\wdsnbp.com

Downloaded WDSNBP...

Architechture: x64
WDSNBP started using DHCP Referral.
Contacting server $LINUX-PXE-SERVER$ (Gateway: $default-gateway$
"

And its stuck there,

When I tcpdump between the client and the servers I see it tries to do a
dhcp proxy request to $LINUX-PXE-SERVER$ but nothing more happens, I can't
ether see any blocks in the firewall.

I have troubleshooted this for a couple of days now and I
would appreciate some help,

And http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/WDSLINUX does not have any
information that would help me what I can see as I am trying to boot WDS
from a linux pxe environment

The most relevant post I seen is the following:
http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2010-January/013680.html

And by setting the following:

option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";

 to my dhcp.conf the client stops booting.

Is there anybody that have managed to boot the WDS from a linux environment
running dhcpd and pxelinux and not the other way around?

If so,

The setup is working perfect to pxeboot the other linux options, so what am
I doing wrong for the WDS part?

Cheers
Lezgin Bakircioglu