[syslinux] tftp with pxelinux.0 from syslinux 4.10-pre17

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 06:28:16 PST 2011

On Dec 31, 2011 7:52 AM, "Christian Hesse" <list at eworm.de> wrote:

> Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> on Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:17:39 -0500:
> > On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 02:40, Christian Hesse <list at eworm.de> wrote:
> > > http://www.eworm.de/tmp/tcpdump-syslinux-lwip-v.log
> > > tcpdump -i eth0 -l -n not host 172.16.0.29 -w /tmp/tcpdump.log
> > > Notebook A (172.16.0.1) has the pxe server, notebook B (172.16.0.29)
runs
> > > a virtual machine, the ethernet interface is bridged to the notebook's
> > > ethernet interface. Boot fails here.
> >
> > Are all of these pcap files from Notebook A?  I see this one goes
> > dead/deaf/ignorant after the TFTP return of file not found.
>
> Yes.
> But it looks nearly the same on notebook B.

Using switch port mirroring?  I normally consider port mirroring best when
possible and captures from the server next best.  How is it any different?

> BTW, tested with atftpd (which I usually use and the logs are created
with)
> and hpa-tftpd. The result is the same.

I presume you don't really see the message of trying pxelinux.cfg/<UUID>
(or it just flashes).

This sounds like the network connection is closed between receiving file
not found on UUID and sending the MAC request, which is extremely different
from Shantanu's issue.

Have you tried setting the DHCP option for PXELINUX path prefix to an HTTP
URL yet?  It may be unlikely to help but just in case the PXE/UNDI doesn't
like PXELINUX sending TFTP/UDP packets over UNDI, it might show something
different.  Does notebook B have a serial port?

--
-Gene