[syslinux] pxelinux 4.10-pre17 HTTP performance (cptime)

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Sat Dec 31 08:37:10 PST 2011

Hi,

On 31 December 2011 01:12, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have a 64bit VM with VMXNET3 and go there this result:
>
> Guest OS hint shouldn't matter much.  The VMXNET3 may.

Sure, I'll check out e1000 as well. @hpa, since this is a VM I would rule
out link negotiation as a cause, or can this really be an issue with VMware
ESX VMs?

> The download of a 180MB large file (Parted Magic initrd) takes between 60
> > and 72 seconds, which is about 2.6 to 2.3 MiB/s.
> >
> > Can this go any faster? Or is this the most that we can get out of a
> > preboot environment?
>
> Is this via HTTP or TFTP?  I'm betting the latter and you've got about
> double the best performance I've seen.

Oh, actually it was over HTTP with the HTTP server in the same subnet. With
TFTP I already lowered my expectations and this is one of the reasons to
use HTTP instead.

Regards,
Schlomo