[syslinux] Fw: Re: Memdisk Question

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:35:04 PST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 07:49, Robert McLay <the80sphreak at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hi Gene,
>
>  Not sure if you wanted this on/off list, feel free to forward to list
>  if you do.
>
>> Adding "int15maxres=#" will affect the memory calls that MEMDISK hooks
>> into.  Specify the desired limit in bytes (ie "int15maxres=268435456"
>> for 256 MiB).
>
>  I've done some testing this morning and I can't seem to make it work.
>
>  The machine I am testing on has 1024MB of RAM, and I've left the
>  artificial 256MB limit for testing purposes.  Yet the disk is still
>  freezing up the system.  I used 7zip to extract the attachment you sent
>  me, resulting in a file memdisk-res with MD5SUM:
>
>  7E875849209C7F619E4338D1474162CD
>
>  For reference, my pxelinux.cfg/default is like this:
>
>  label cesg
>    menu label ^CESG Software (GeneC Memdisk Hack)
>    kernel images/memdisk-res int15maxres=268435456
>    append initrd=images/cesg.img

1) The KERNEL line should only contain the file of the kernel.

label cesg
  menu label ^CESG Software (GeneC Memdisk Hack)
  kernel images/memdisk-res
  append initrd=images/cesg.img int15maxres=268435456

2) After some other on-list discussion, I've made more changes so it
should now be (for my new version which I'll email shortly):

label cesg
  menu label ^CESG Software (GeneC Memdisk Hack)
  kernel images/memdisk-res
  append initrd=images/cesg.img mem=268435456

3) If this does not solve it, some BIOSs offer an OS Install mode that
limits the available memory but I'm not sure how each implements this.
 On one machine I recently tried this and found that a full POST was
noticeably slower.

--
-Gene