[syslinux] USB vs. ATA with Compact flash

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:12:28 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 13:49, Andrew Stuart <andrew at shopcusa.com> wrote:
> On 2/7/2011 10:34 AM, Collins, Cris L. wrote:
>>
>> Was getting "boot error" when trying to boot a CF connected via USB
>> bridge using extlinux  4.03 and 4.0.4pre5. 3.11 works fine on the same CF.
>> Not sure if this is something of concern. Using version 4.0  works fine
>> with ATA bridge.
>>

> You might want to try 4.04-pre7 and report your results. Another thread "A
> bug in syslinux boot code" has the same error / included a correction that
> may resolve your issue.

Also, how are you using the CF card?  Is it partitioned or
unpartitioned?  What file system?  What "geometry"?  Could you provide
some more related info?

If 4.04-pre7 doesn't resolve the issue, I have an image that will look
similar (if it's unpartitioned) from the standpoint of the BIOS but
will instead dump data and another image that can be dropped onto the
partition to dump the same data (I'm still in the process of preparing
it for mainline inclusion).  Both _will_ destroy your file system.

--
-Gene