[syslinux] PXELINUX and memtest86p weirdness

Marius Eikenes viddy at viddy.no
Mon Feb 7 23:18:56 PST 2011

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem with Memtest86+ (4.10 and 4.20 tried) from
PXELINUX on a specific type of motherboard.
When running memtest86+ 4.10 from the newest "Ultimate Boot CD"
(isolinux i reckon?) the memtest runs without errors for several passes.
But when loaded from PXELINUX it shows several hundred memory errors in
just a few minutes.

I double checked by copying the memtest-binary from the CD to the
tftproot, but when started from PXE errors still occurred.
My next try was updating pxelinux to 4.03, but this showed no change.
Then the next try was 4.04-pre7, still the same.

The motherboards are all Asus M4A89GTD/PRO USB3.
and this is consistent on 5 different machines with the exact same
hardware and BIOS-versions.

Anyone got a clue? I don't even know where to start looking.

--
Marius