[syslinux] Load Kernel from non-Syslinux disk?

KESHAV P.R. skodabenz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 10:59:52 PST 2011

Hi pyther,
                skodabenz here.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 23:18, Matthew Gyurgyik <pyther at pyther.net> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I had someone ask me if it was possible to load a kernel from a different
> disk. I'm not sure if this could somehow be done with chain.c32.
>
> So I ask, is it possible to boot from a kernel that is on a different disk
> than Syslinux?

AFAIK syslinux does not access the partition table at all (except for
chain.c32). So technically loading a kernel and initramfs file from a
different partition (which includes different disks too) is not
possible with syslinux. The user is limited to the partition from
which syslinux's ldlinux.sys is loaded (irrespective of MBR or GPT).

Regards.

Keshav