[syslinux] Cannot execute memdisk

SINAN AKPOLAT SAKPOLAT at sisecam.com
Thu Feb 17 00:23:15 PST 2011

I copied the file "memdisk" to tftpboot directoy I changed DHCP filename from "pxelinux.0" to "memdisk".
However it seems to wait forever now, without any kind of messages. Is it normal?

>>> SINAN AKPOLAT 17.02.2011 10:18 >>>
Hello everyone, this is my first mail.

I am trying to pxe boot an ISO CD. I configured DHCP and  TFTP.

In DHCP config file I define the boot folder as
filename "pxelinux.0";

In TFTP config file in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default I wrote the boot option as

LABEL ccc
LINUX memdisk
INITRD ccc.iso
APPEND raw

Now I have some problems and parts I don't understand.

1) I downloaded and 'make + make install'ed the syslinux-4.03 package from git repo. However memdisk is not working when I try ./memdisk . It gives no errors too. Only errors I get are about win32 and win64 folders and that's because I don't tun mingw (I guess)
2) What should be pxelinux.0 file? I thought it moust be the kernel bu I'm trying to boot from ISO. Should I use memdisk file instead?

I never got a hang of these things except for GRUB. I never managed to make a custom Linux ISO. I tried to boot PCs from network which didn't had any graphics card at all.

And I need to boot from network right now. I would really appreciate your help.

Yours sincerely,
Sinan Akpolat