[syslinux] temporary fix for gpxelinux.0 not doing localboot

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 21:02:46 PST 2011

As I had noted in the past gpxelinux.0 fails (on most of my machines)
at localboot 0 where as pxelinux.0 works with localboot 0 (on all of
my machines)

I needed to do local boot by default (not first hard drive but local
boot where it ends pxe booting and looks at the next device)
I also had a few iso images that took too long while downloading from
tftp and I wanted to use gpxelinux.0 with its ability to load files
from web servers. So here is my solution.

I downloaded syslinux
I copyed the pxelinux.0 file to /tftpboot directory
I then did a
find -type f -exec grep -Hn pxelinux.cfg {} \;
from the root of the syslinux folder
to find where gpxelinux.0 started look in pxelinux.cfg
it returned
./syslinux-4.03/core/fs/pxe/pxe.c:1077:    const char *cfgprefix =
"pxelinux.cfg/";
I changed it to
./syslinux-4.03/core/fs/pxe/pxe.c:1077:    const char *cfgprefix =
"gpxelinux.cfg/";
recompiled everything
and copyied gpxelinux.0 to /tftpboot

now gpxelinux looks in gpxelinux.cfg for its configuration file

thus in my pxelinux.cfg/default file I set the default to localboot 0
and have a pxe gpxelinux.0 entry in pxelinux.cfg/default
and have my http needing entries in gpxelinux.cfg/default

so my request is for gpxelinux.0 to look in gpxelinux.cfg for config
files by default it only makes sense anyways.