[syslinux] not sure how to get rid of white screen during boot

Lucas De Marchi lucas.demarchi at profusion.mobi
Mon Feb 28 12:18:41 PST 2011

Hi Peter

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:12 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> A fadeout effect would be possible but would extend the boot time by as
> much, which is probably the wrong tradeoff.
>
> With the most recent kernels, with "quiet vga=current" the graphic
> splash can be retained during the execution of the kernel; in fact if
> the resolution is the same some video drivers can actually leave the
> image intact during the kernel transition.

Isn't this a patch fedora/ubuntu keep off tree? For ubuntu I can find
the following patches (from
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-natty.git):

cfea7d297a8afe9230eb29d0179fcdb4381a2539 UBUNTU: SAUCE: vt -- allow
grub to request automatic vt_handoff
e48997e742072b97a88f230eb9f89236e23db21c UBUNTU: SAUCE: vt -- maintain
bootloader screen mode and content until vt switch

I thought Fedora might have some external patches to do something
similar, but differently. I'm booting here 2.6.38-rc5 and as soon as
kms goes in, my screen is blanked until my splash (dietsplash) shows a
picture. I'd like to retain the syslinux background, but this is not
I'm seeing (syslinux is the git version) with an intel card.

regards,
Lucas De Marchi