[syslinux] isolinux, extlinux and accented characters

appzer0 appzer0 at free.fr
Tue Jan 4 04:21:19 PST 2011

Hello,

First of all, thanks very much for this piece of software, it's working
like a charm.
I'm using it to boot a Linux distro I'm working on.

What I want to deal with is the display of accented characters in ISOLINUX.

First, I set EXTLINUX up to boot an ext2-formatted USB stick. No problem
so far.
I wrote a config file ordering to load a font (lat-9w) to display french
strings. The config file is
written in ISO-8859-1, as UTF-8 is not supported.

So everything's OK with EXTLINUX.

Now, ISOLINUX has some display problems with *exactly* the same
configuration as in EXTLINUX's.

Any accented character is broken. So I tried to mkisofs the image with
some extensions (RockRidge,
Joliet, etc.) but it has no effect. I'd like to know where to look to
fix this behaviour, or at least to know
which part of the code is responsible for this behaviour, as EXTLINUX
appears to deal with accents perfectly.

Find the 2 config files extlinux.conf and isolinux.cfg attached.

Thanks in advance,

appzer0