[syslinux] MEMDISK issues and Dell OptiPlex and Latitude systems

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 18:15:25 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 20:56, Jason Vasquez <jvasquez at kennesaw.edu> wrote:
> Hello all. Again I call upon the greats of this mailing list to help me with an issue related to MEMDISK - notably when paired with various Dell OptiPlex and Latitude systems.
>
> The issue presented itself sometime ago and I best dealt with it by remaining with version 3.83 of the SYSLINUX package. But valuing the improved changes fostered by newer versions, I would prefer to move forward with current versions.
>
> Though I have recently posted this issue to the mailing list, new events have exacerbated my PXE-booting and MEMDISK troubles. Previously, when PXE-booting a PC DOS/Ghost-client hard disk image, a "We lost the last drive in our class of drives." error would occur and Ghost would be unable to see the internal disk. Well, the same error message and results occur when PXE-booting and MEMDISK-loading a FreeDOS hard disk image.
>
> MEMDISK 3.83 (and previous) versions work properly, but any version beyond the 3.83 (including the 4.x series) do not work so properly. I thought this occurrence was unique to OptiPlex GX280 and GX620 systems, but a number of Latitude notebooks have joined the party.
>
> Below is the rundown of systems and MEMDISK results.
>
> initrd image: c.img
> (A FreeDOS image) extracted from the following archive:
> http://bochs.sourceforge.net/guestos/freedos-img.tar.gz

> MEMDISK 3.83 and 4.03 both detect internal SATA drive
> OptiPlex 980 BIOS A05,
> Intel Corporation 82578DM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10ef] (rev 05)
>
> OptiPlex 780 BIOS A05,
> Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10de] (rev 02)
>
> OptiPlex 755 BIOS A17
> Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10bd] (rev 02)

> MEMDISK 4.03 does not detect internal SATA drive
> Note the message: "We lost the last drive in our class of drives."
> OptiPlex GX620 BIOS A08,
> Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1677] (rev 01)
>
> OptiPlex GX280 BIOS A08,
> Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1677] (rev 01)
>
> Latitude E6400 A27,
> Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10f5] (rev 03)
> Intel Corporation WiMAX/WiFi Link 5150 [8086:423c]
>
> Latitude  D820 A09,
> Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1600] (rev 02)
> Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection [8086:4222] (rev 02)
>
> Latitude  D810 A05, (PATA drive)
> Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1677] (rev 01)
> Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection [8086:4220] (rev 05)
>
> Latitude  D505 A11, (PATA drive)
> Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03)
> Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Controller [8086:103d] (rev 81)

> [...]

Examining the system with hdt before using MEMDISK says there's only 1
disk, 0x80 (EDD 30).  Geometry lines up with what's typically
expected.  Dell OptiPlex GX620 BIOS A11.  Same situation when I load
another hdd-type image that I have.

PXE version/copyright for reference:
"Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v9.4.4
Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Broadcom Corporation
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
All Rights Reserved."

This list you've built is quite the spread.  Thanks for the specifics.
 It sounds like it's not what I originally thought.  I've got access
to a bunch of machines at work that were not mentioned (all Dell) that
I should be able to test.

Jason, have you had the opportunity to check all 4 access methods,
safeint (default), int, raw and bigraw, possibly with both edd and
noedd (I think autodetect might go edd)?  If I recall correctly, you
were originally using PXELINUX to load this but started using ISOLINUX
to load MEMDISK and the initrd for some of your testing?

--
-Gene