[syslinux] Memdisk Question

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 09:44:01 PST 2011

Hello Robert,

While it's indeed possible that MEMDISK could be giving you issues, I
can't say that I've ever seen a problem with it in machines >1GB... or
with any amount of RAM, really.  As far as I know, MEMDISK only uses
the RAM it needs to hold the image itself.

If possible, could you try writing that floppy image to an actual disk
and booting it on one of the affected machines?

I might be wrong about this, but I think that PXELINUX has direct
support for floppy images.  You may be able to bypass MEMDISK as your
kernel and work directly with the image.  Not exactly sure what the
syntax is for that, though.

Additionally, GRUB4DOS can boot RAMdisk images via its "mem --map"
command.  You could try that too :)

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky