[syslinux] extlinux doesn't boot 3.0 kernel on a brand new HP 8200sff workstation

Gert Hulselmans gerth at zytor.com
Sun Jul 24 04:44:54 PDT 2011

Arends, R.R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compiled a 3.0 kernel for my system, used the same config of my already
> working 2.6.39.1 kernel on the same system.
> But whenever extlinux tries to load my 3.0 kernel it crashes instantly and
> reboots, not even 1 kernel msg is displayed.
>
> So it seems like the kernel isn't loaded at all and crashes.
>
> Rgds,
>
> /reni

When using KERNEL in Syslinux, the extension tell Syslinux to treat *.0 as
a PXE bootstrap program.

So you can rename the kernel so it doesn't end wiht .0, but better is to
use one of the following methods, which will load the file as a linux
kernel no matter what the filename is.

Try:
LABEL linux30
MENU LABEL Load Linux kernel with LINUX keyword
LINUX vmlinux-3.0
INITRD initramfs
APPEND root parameters

or:
LABEL linux30_with_com32
MENU LABEL Load Linux kernel with linux.c32
COM32 linux.c32
APPEND vmlinux-3.0 initrd=initramfs root parameters

- Gert