[syslinux] pxechn location

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:44:53 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 13:41, Andrew Stuart <andrew at shopcusa.com> wrote:
> On 7/27/2011 9:58 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> --snip--
>>
>> A nice HTTP URL:
>>
>> http://git.zytor.com/?p=users/genec/syslinux.git;a=tree;f=com32/modules;h=refs/heads/pxechain-com32-alpha;hb=refs/heads/pxechain-com32-alpha
>>
>> The file is pxechn.c (of course).
>>

> Thank you sir, for the sake of making it easier to find, I changed the
> subject of this message, and will also mention, to find pxechn.c in the
> above url, click com32 then modules.

I had tried something better but
http://git.zytor.com/?p=users/genec/syslinux.git;a=tree;f=com32/modules/com32/modules;h=2e72617a8a2756de4054a3c409f9af4cf2052565;hb=refs/heads/pxechain-com32-alpha
is a quicker link

I expected gitweb to process the alternate head form.

> Also, I'm adding usage info, which appears to be:
>
> pxechn.c32 -r [[ipaddress]::]tftp_filename
>
> Equivalent to "pxechain.com [[ipaddress]::]tftp_filename"
>
> (copied from http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2010-November/015571.html)

Yes, they should be equivalent but that's more the backwards
compatibility mode.  '-h', '-?' and '--help' call usage() (line 169)
which is the only usage documentation at the moment.

> I will see if I can get this compiled shortly and give it a go.

The real power of pxechn.c32 comes from not depending on the PXE
stack's PXENV_RESTART_TFTP call which gives the possibility of easily
overriding DHCP options and loading a file from HTTP.  It should also
process the NBP URL to set all appropriate DHCP options.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 17:01, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Please let me know how it turns out.  If it is promising it would be
> good to include it.
>
>        -hpa

I've been waiting on both asking for consideration for inclusion and
continuing to expand to generic options until I got some positive
feedback.  I believe there have been at least 3 or 4 individuals who
have shown interest but I think the only trace of results were
negative results on an NBP that either issued its own DHCP request or
ignored packet 3 (I believe the only one that should be touched and
should take precedence over the others).  I've tested it myself but
I've only really tested loading other copies of PXELINUX on my
selection of hardware and I'd rather know how other software/hardware
reacts to this module before considering it ready for general use.  I
also need to do some relatively minor code cleanup to remove/reformat
extra comments.

--
-Gene