[syslinux] [Syslinux] Booting from a local disk fails..

Miller, Shao shao.miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Thu Jul 28 14:53:33 PDT 2011

Good day, Pasi.

Perhaps you'd be interested in joining the Syslinux mailing-list, if you haven't done so already.

Is part of the problem description that the 'LOCALBOOT 0' directive does not behave as expected?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that 'LOCALBOOT 0' will return control to the computer's PXE boot ROM code.  The PXE boot ROM code is then supposed to return control to the BIOS, which is supposed to try booting from the next boot device in the boot order.  It might be interesting to try out a trivial Network Bootstrap Program which does nothing more than to return control to the PXE boot ROM code, just to find out if the symptoms are identical.  The trivial NBP might go something like:

  mov ax,0
  lret

- Shao Miller