[syslinux] dual disk netboot approach

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Jun 2 15:16:10 PDT 2011

Hello,

My challenge is to run Linux on a computer
where I don't dare to touch the Microsoft Windows harddisk.

Fifthteen years ago would be trick to attach a second harddisk to the
computer and boot from floppy disk. In 2011 is the idea to attach a
second disk and netboot it.

One approach is to TFTP the kernel and append 'root=/dev/sdb1'

This E-mail is however to seek advice for another approach.
In this approach is the kernel also on the second harddisk.

I see two possible roads, both with dragons on it.

The PXELINUX only road: Will PXELINUX load a kernel from disk?

The PXELINUX with EXTLINUX road: When PXELINUX loads and starts EXTLINUX
 will EXTLINUX load a config file from the network?

Which way should I go?

Groeten Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.