[syslinux] Completely disable local keyboard input in Syslinux / Extlinux?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Jun 5 08:51:08 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 09:55:05PM +0200, Alexander Foken wrote:
> redirects text output to and keyboard input from the console RS232
     <snip/>
> serial 0 9600 0
> console 0
> default huge.s
> prompt 0
> timeout 0
> say Booting Linux ...
> label huge.s
>   kernel bzImage
>   append initrd=initrd.img e100.eeprom_bad_csum_allow=1
> earlyprintk=ttyS0,9600 console=ttyS0,9600 load_ramdisk=1
> prompt_ramdisk=0 rw printk.time=0 SLACK_KERNEL=huge.s
>
> Note "console 0" to prevent writing to the emulated video output.
>
> As soon as I enable prompting (with a timeout), using the
> extlinux.conf below, ...
>
> serial 0 9600 0
> console 0
> default huge.s
> prompt 1
> timeout 100
> say Booting Linux ...
> label huge.s
>   kernel bzImage
>   append initrd=initrd.img e100.eeprom_bad_csum_allow=1
> earlyprintk=ttyS0,9600 console=ttyS0,9600 load_ramdisk=1
> prompt_ramdisk=0 rw printk.time=0 SLACK_KERNEL=huge.s
>
> ... the broken BIOS sends junk to Extlinux as if a key was stuck a
> local PS/2 or USB keyboard (there is no local keyboard, not even a
> port for one). Extlinux stops responding after displaying 2048(!)
> "¶" characters (0xB6).
>
> And I can't find a way to tell Syslinux / Extlinux to completely
> ignore the local keyboard and use only the RS232 interface. "console
> 0" suppresses only writing to the graphics card, but it does not
> disable reading the local keyboard.
>
> Perhaps there is a way to (ab-)use the keymap feature, mapping all
> keys to "no key pressed"?

My attempt would be _not configuring_ the serial port
and trust the redirection. The idea behind that is,
that "console" is _allready_ on the serial port
and that REconfiguring the serial port is MISconfiguring it ...

In other words: do NOT add "any serial"
I do know that it doesn't answer the original question.
I'm telling what I would do to get it working.

HtH
Groeten Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.