[syslinux] Completely disable local keyboard input in Syslinux / Extlinux?

Alexander Foken alexander at foken.de
Mon Jun 6 21:38:58 PDT 2011

On 05.06.2011 17:51, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 09:55:05PM +0200, Alexander Foken wrote:
>> redirects text output to and keyboard input from the console RS232
>       <snip/>
>> ... the broken BIOS sends junk to Extlinux as if a key was stuck a
>> local PS/2 or USB keyboard (there is no local keyboard, not even a
>> port for one). Extlinux stops responding after displaying 2048(!)
>> "¶" characters (0xB6).
>>
>> And I can't find a way to tell Syslinux / Extlinux to completely
>> ignore the local keyboard and use only the RS232 interface. "console
>> 0" suppresses only writing to the graphics card, but it does not
>> disable reading the local keyboard.
>>
>> Perhaps there is a way to (ab-)use the keymap feature, mapping all
>> keys to "no key pressed"?
>
> My attempt would be _not configuring_ the serial port
> and trust the redirection. The idea behind that is,
> that "console" is _allready_ on the serial port
> and that REconfiguring the serial port is MISconfiguring it ...

Sounds logical. I had the strange idea that Syslinux / Extlinux does not
use the BIOS where not absolutely needed, but meanwhile I know better
from the sources.

> In other words: do NOT add "any serial"
> I do know that it doesn't answer the original question.
> I'm telling what I would do to get it working.

I've commented out the "serial" and "console" lines from extlinux.conf,
I see the usual messages from BIOS and extlinux on the RS232 port, but
when extlinux prompts "boot:", the stupid BIOS sends a never-ending
stream of 0xB6 chars.

Alexander

> HtH
> Groeten Stappers