[syslinux] bad CF disks, etc

Jim Cromie jim.cromie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 14:55:57 PDT 2011

hi folks,

I have 3 CF disks, 16M, 512M, 4G, only the 512 is working on my soekris 4801
other 2 show:

Cannot get disk parameters
coming from chain.c32

chain.c32 is not to blame, as bios also gives similar error

> boot 80

No Boot device available, enter monitor.

all 3 CFs are readable/writable on my desktop

after fiddling with various fdisk parameters,
I dd'd the image off the 512, and put it on both the other 2 CFs
but theyre still unbootable.

Any suggestions on how to save these CFs from the scrap heap ?
I considered hacking some printfs into chain.c32, but failure of BIOS
made it seem pointless (though Im prepared to change my mind...)

Any specific param vals to print which might point towards solution ?

tia