[syslinux] com32 compatibility between syslinux 3-4

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jun 13 13:43:28 PDT 2011

On 06/09/2011 06:45 PM, Ayvaz, James wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>                 This question might be a long shot, but is it possible to mix and match com32 programs written against Syslinux 3 with com32 programs written against Syslinux 4 without recompiling.   We are trying to have our com32 programs run with different versions of Syslinux without modification.  Appreciate any advice,
>
> thanks in advance.

Thinking about this some more, the sanest way to do this is probably to
use the Syslinux 4 startup, and then walk the pm_cs structure and
replace any fields not present (or if pm_cs itself is not present) with
stubs that call the legacy routines.

I have to warn you that the stability of this interface is not my
highest priority right now.  We may wish to discuss your specific use
cases off-list.