[syslinux] Questions about setup

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:02:49 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 17:38, Bernd Blaauw <bblaauw at home.nl> wrote:
> Op 14-6-2011 22:04, Jesse Hogan schreef:
>>
>> I have worked in IT for several years and programming or anything related
>> this is not exactly one of my strengths.  I need help creating a
>> vesamenu..
>> Im trying to setup up so I can access my Acronis backup and disaster
>> recovery 10 server, knoppix live cd, hardware diagnostics - pcdoctor and
>> maybe a hiren type boot cd. I checked the Linux irc channel which I guess
>> is
>> now abandoned.  If anyone could help me this would make my job so much
>> easier and if need be I would be willing to pay for your help (not much ..
>> just a poor IT Manager in a small company)
>
> not sure what VESAMENU does, nor GFXBOOT, as both aren't terribly well
> documented in the Syslinux wiki.
> A screenshot of the basic HDT menu seems to be missing,
> but http://hdt-project.org/raw-attachment/wiki/hdt-0.5.0/hdt-0.5.0.img might
> give you some ideas.
> Boot this diskette image or look at its syslinux.cfg text file.

com32/menu/vesamenu.c32 is the VESA-enabled variant of menu.c32.
menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32 are COM32 modules to present a menu based on
some simple enhancements to the basic config (documented in
doc/menu.txt).  See also
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Menu.c32

GFXBOOT is actually not a Syslinux concept but rather a way to build a
graphical boot loader inferface for any bootloader supporting it.
com32/gfxboot/gfxboot.c32 is the cueent module to support it.  See
also http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/GFXBoot.c32

--
-Gene