[syslinux] Requesting the removal of md5pass

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Jun 24 09:32:49 PDT 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> On 06/24/2011 08:41 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
>>
>> The md5pass tool does not offer anything that is not possible using
>> openssl, eg:
>>
>>  	openssl passwd -1 <password>
>> or
>>  	openssl passwd -1 -salt <string> <password>
>>
>> So the tool could easily be replaced by a shell-script, or removed
>> entirely.
>
> Makes sense, although now it depends on openssl ;)

But at least that ships with RHEL/CentOS and most other distributions ;-)

>> Can't we just replace this with a simple shell-script using openssl or get
>> rid of it ? Or does it serve a greater purpose ? :)
>
> Not really.  Shell script would be fine.
>
> Another alternative -- which almost certainly would be the best -- would
> be to write host-side C wrappers around the crypto algorithms we already
> have.  That way we can get rid of any external dependencies.

Right. Although I would not mind to update the documentation and simply
indicate how to use openssl to generate the passwords instead.

>> PS2 For sha1pass there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in openssl, but it
>>      seems very useful to have that added to openssl as well (-4 ?).
>
> The particular SHA-1 password implementation in Syslinux is
> Syslinux-specific and probably pretty poor.

Either there's a use for it (which may have a broader audience through
openssl) or there isn't and we could get rid of $4$... passwords ?

Whatever we decide, do you think this is 4.05 or 4.10 material ?