[syslinux] Requesting the removal of md5pass

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 24 10:03:13 PDT 2011

On 06/24/2011 09:32 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> PS2 For sha1pass there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in openssl,
>>> but it
>>>      seems very useful to have that added to openssl as well (-4 ?).
>>
>> The particular SHA-1 password implementation in Syslinux is
>> Syslinux-specific and probably pretty poor.
>
> Either there's a use for it (which may have a broader audience through
> openssl) or there isn't and we could get rid of $4$... passwords ?
>
> Whatever we decide, do you think this is 4.05 or 4.10 material ?

Although deprecated, I want to keep the tool around for backward
compatibility (SHA-1 passwords were the first encrypted passwords we
supported.)

This is low-risk material (easy to verify) so it can go into 4.05 if
there is one.

I would prefer the C-wrapper solution because it would avoid tying us to
an external tool, and would also support $5$ and $6$ passwords even on
platforms that normally don't have them.