[syslinux] drive size limit for syslinux

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Wed Mar 9 11:39:21 PST 2011

On Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 19:35:42, Gene Cumm wrote:

> Most of the machines I have do not present a choice but do use HDD mode.

It depends on BIOS a lot - eg. all AMI BIOSes I've seen just list USB
devices under Hard disks or CD-ROM drives (depending on type of USB
device), while Award BIOSes usually offer you separate options of
USB-HDD, USB-Floppy, USB-ZIP and USB-CDROM, and also list USB disks
and pendrives under (regular) Hard drives (this is pretty confusing if
you press the key that shows boot menu, because it lists both "Hard
disk" and "USB-HDD", and if you choose USB-HDD, it usually fails to
boot, while if you choose Hard disk, it'll show another menu [often
without giving any indication in the first menu that this will
happen], where the USB drive will also be listed - and usually will
work).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

A chain of reasoning is no stronger than its weakest link.
       -- Berkeley's Seventh Law