[syslinux] How can I replace the Linux scrolling text during boot-up with a splash image?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:10:15 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 09:15, Stephen Saputo <s.c.saputo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need some help in determining how to have a color splash image display in
> place of the Linux scrolling-text during the boot-up process on an embedded
> Linux device using Syslinux. The kernel used is a stripped-down version of
> Linux (kernel 2.6.29), which has been custom configured.  The distros used
> are Ubuntu Linux 10.04 (development platform) and X-Linux

By default, Ubuntu uses a system to silence the Linux kernel boot
output and display a splash image instead.  Its name unfortunately
escapes me at the moment.

As far as silencing the Linux kernel boot output, there are several
ways to approach it.  The command line option "quiet" should quiet
about all of the output.  To prevent it from changing VGA modes,
"vga=current" can also be used.

Syslinux (in all its variants) is capable of displaying an image using
the DISPLAY directive and two external files (see doc/syslinux.txt
about the DISPLAY directive and <CAN> within a display file for more
information).

--
-Gene