[syslinux] How can I replace the Linux scrolling text during boot-up with a splash image?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:27:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 14:42, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 10:10 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:
>>
>> Syslinux (in all its variants) is capable of displaying an image using
>> the DISPLAY directive and two external files (see doc/syslinux.txt
>> about the DISPLAY directive and <CAN> within a display file for more
>> information).
>>

> Yes, although using the menu system will produce better results.  It's
> kind of broken that those are separate, but that's the way it is
> unfortunately.

Except that the menu system will normally still show during boot.  I
was thinking of the scenario of a default, uninterrupted boot should
produce the cleanest output possible.

Using vesamenu.c32 is far more versatile and could easily produce an
image with much better quality.  Thinking about it now, if you created
a top menu with the alphas (with the "MENU COLOR" directive) to hide
all of the text (you'll need to specify all of the elements, one at a
time), you could produce results with no visible text and a better
quality background picture.  Careful use of "MENU DEFAULT" (to select
a new menu) and "ONTIMEOUT" (to select the automatic option) could
also produce some interesting (and possibly) desired results of
activating a submenu or alternate menu when <enter> is pressed but
otherwise just boot with no output.

Stephen, doc/menu.txt should have all the documentation you need to do so.

--
-Gene