[syslinux] can't boot isohybrid-ized image on CG2100

Greg Forte greg.forte at trueposition.com
Thu Mar 17 11:30:10 PDT 2011

Sure, I'm desperate enough to try just about anything!  ;-)

No dice with isohybrid.pl from 4.04-pre13 - same behavior.  Is there any
functional difference between the script and the compiled bin?  They
appear to have produced identical images from the same source, so I'm
guessing the answer is no.

Yes, prior to "discovering" isohybrid, I was using syslinux + memdisk +
isolinux to accomplish more or less the same intended result (except
with the iso image situated as a file in a fat filesystem on the stick,
along with the required syslinux files), and that was working on this
system (and others) with no problems.  isohybrid just seems a whole lot
more elegant and simpler.

-g

Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:37, Greg Forte <greg.forte at trueposition.com> wrote:
>> I have a isohybrid-ized image (isohybrid.pl from syslinux-4.03, no options
>> passed) which works on several other systems, but can't boot a Kontron
>> CG2100 from stick (same image boots fine from a portable CD-ROM drive
>> though).  The BIOS shows its initial splash, accesses the stick, then the
>> system reboots - no errors logged in the BIOS event log.  I tried disabling
>> the "USB boot priority" option (which puts USB devices to the top of the
>> boot order when it sees them), no change.
>>
>> Any hints on how to fix or troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated. Since
>> the problem seems to be specific to one platform, I'm guessing that it's a
>> quirk of the particular BIOS in question - I will probably be asking Kontron
>> for support as well.
>
> Is there any chance you could try utils/isohybrid.pl and/or
> utils/isohybrid (precompliled) from Syslinux-4.04-pre13?
>
> Have you tried a UFD (USB Flash Drive) with a more typical partitioned
> layout with Syslinux and some appropriate file system like FAT*/ext*?
> If not, that would be another testing point.  I'd also recommend
> trying 4.04-pre13.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipients named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender of that fact and delete the e-mail from your system.