[syslinux] Syslinux 4.04-pre14: anything missing please holler

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:39:45 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 18:49, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> If there is anything that you think should have been in Syslinux 4.04
> which isn't there please holler now.
>
>        -hpa

I'm not sure if there's time but...

A user found an issue when using Syslinux 4.04-pre14 mbr/mbr.bin, an
EXT2 partition from sectors 2048 to 4095 flagged as active in slot 1
and using extlinux/extlinux from Syslinux-4.04-pre14 to the directory
boot/syslinux.  I first tried an image they posted then recreated
everything from scratch.  I also tried the root director of the file
system with the same results.

The entire banner is displayed and then it seems to hang.  After
waiting about 12 seconds my VM displayed some strange "extended" ASCII
pattern then 2 seconds later rebooted.

Character 215 in bright green, black background, two blank characters
(no clue if there's something more), then possibly character 254 in
medium green, magenta background.  This 4-character pattern fills the
entire screen.  (this part is probably irrelevant but figured mention
it).

Next up: bochs and internal debugger.  I'm thinking that I need to
target how Syslinux handles the geometry of the partition but very
unsure.

--
-Gene